The Ministry of Justice said on Wednesday that the US authorities arrested an alleged leader in the local MS-13 gang, which had been fleeing for nearly four years after being accused of a conspiracy linked to 11 murders.
Joel Vargas-Eskobar in Westbar, New York, was arrested late on Tuesday and was transferred to Nevada, where he was initially charged in a federal indictment 2021.
Prosecutors are looking for his trial with three participating accused, all of whom are alleged members of the gang, according to court documents.
“This terrorist illegally entered our country and was accused of organizing 11 murders – under the leadership of President Trump, we will not be comfortable until this terrorist organization and its members are completely dismantled behind,” Public Prosecutor Bam Bondi said in a statement.
The Ministry of Justice gave the Trump administration a priority for issues involved in drug gangs and criminal gangs associated with illegal immigration.
Vargas-ascobar, which was identified as a leader of the MS-13 ParkView angle operating outside Nevada and California, faces blackmail, killing and gun, according to the indictment.
It has not yet entered an appeal.
Vargas-ascobar directly connects the killing of two in 2017.